Producer Profile 1: Louis Roederer — Sparkling Wines
Sparkling wine, also colloquially known as ‘fizz’ or ‘bubbly’, is the first of our wine styles, although technically it is a wine type that has many different styles. It can vary just as much as still wines.
Sparkling wines can be:
- Made from a wide variety of different grape varieties, both white and red
- White, rosé or red in colour
- Made from a single year or a blend of different vintages
- Made with different pressures in the bottle, and described as lightly, semi– and fully sparkling
- Made with a range of different alcohol levels, but low to moderate levels are usually favoured
- Made to be simple or complex. The more complex styles tend to rely on long periods of ageing on lees.